or grey mold is common and causes blights such as botrytis cinerea. This is a large problem for cannabis and also grapes, strawberries and peonies, but in references to cannabis it is usually called bud rot. Keep your plants warm, well ventilated and generally dry. Remove infected bud immediately. Usually bigger, dense buds are sadly more likely to get infected, but a rainy day can cause patches all over the plant. Darking,discoloration and drying are signs of infection. Deadened spots will stand out, but white mold is the first sign you can see and should be treated immediately to save yourself a lot of heart ache.  Look for white and fluffy buds, grey, brown, or purple buds and speckled, dusty buds. It starts as a fluffy white growth in the middle of your buds, making it hard to catch early unless you see some on the sides. This quickly becomes grey or brown, burrowing deep in the bud. The fungus spore is usually carried through wind or dirty rain water, so it is pretty hard to get on indoor plants unless you have brought outside, inside somehow. Keep air moving too so that spores never get a chance to settle and grow. Dormant spores are able to survive for a long time. Your plant also needs a wound of some sort for the fungus to get in, like from a caterpillar, training the plant, white powdery mildew and such forth, so an unwounded plant has no risk. 60-70 F is a problem temperature as well as high humidity or weather causing your plant to be wet for a long time. Your colas that are super dense stay moist inside throughout, so are big problem areas. Removing infected buds is the only way to prevent the spread since there really isn't a way yo reverse the effects, only halt them.

Botrytis blight or grey mold is very common in cannabis plants as well as grapes, strawberries and peonies, but when referring to cannabis we call it bud rot. Signs of infection include darkening and discoloring usually in the middle of buds, which is what makes it hard to catch. Unfortunately, once the bud is infected, it can not be salvaged. That would be silly and dangerous for your health!!! You may notice white mold showing up first; use that as a good indicator your plant is too damp. That material also is not salvageable.

  1. Generally, keep plants warm, well ventilated and dry.
  2. Remove infected bud immediately and dispose far from your plant.
  3. Bigger, dense buds are more likely to be infected because they dry slower, but a rainy day could cause patches all over the plant.
  4. Grow indoors. The fungus spore is carried in dirty rain water and winds; it will be hard for it to get in your home unless you bring in an infected material from outside or green forbid you become infected yourself.
  5. Keep air constantly moving with a fan or several around the plant so that spores are never able to settle and start growing.
Advertisements