Botrytis blight or grey mold is very common in cannabis plants as well as grapes, strawberries and peonies, but when referring to cannabis we call it bud rot. Signs of infection include darkening and discoloring usually in the middle of buds, which is what makes it hard to catch. Unfortunately, once the bud is infected, it can not be salvaged. That would be silly and dangerous for your health!!! You may notice white mold showing up first; use that as a good indicator your plant is too damp. That material also is not salvageable.
- Generally, keep plants warm, well ventilated and dry.
- Remove infected bud immediately and dispose far from your plant.
- Bigger, dense buds are more likely to be infected because they dry slower, but a rainy day could cause patches all over the plant.
- Grow indoors. The fungus spore is carried in dirty rain water and winds; it will be hard for it to get in your home unless you bring in an infected material from outside or green forbid you become infected yourself.
- Keep air constantly moving with a fan or several around the plant so that spores are never able to settle and start growing.