3.58g of arginine reside in a 100g of hemp seeds. This is a conditionally essential amino acid dependent on the development stage. This is crucial for children during growth and is also popular with body builders since they continue to grow through added muscle mass, though most of us do not need extra supplementation. However, during illness and throughout chronic conditions such as type II diabetes and hypertension, the enzyme that degrades arginine is increased, which can result in deficiency if not supplemented.
Side effects from toxic supplementation can occur, though this is rare when you are taking in nutrients from food rather than pill forms which are unhealthy and typically only happens when someone is singly taking arginine for specific results without the assistance of other amino acids. These symptoms can include: abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea, gout, worsening of breath in those with asthma, interaction with medications that lower blood pressure and it may interact with heart medications that treat erectile dysfunction. It should be used with caution if you have allergies, cirrhosis, guanidinoacetate methyltransferase deficiency, herpes, low blood pressure, heart attack, kidney disease or endured recent surgery. This can be deadly to children if consumed in excess and increases your risk of bleeding. Doses 21-30 grams a day are noted for causing side effects, most prevalent, diarrhea which can just be due to the high fat content of amino acids, though there is no definite set toxic level in humans as it is rare.
There are numerous ways that arginine helps us!
- Converted to ornithine which stimulates production of somatomedin
- Powerful immune stimulator.
- Wound healing
- Helps kidneys remove waste product
- Dilates and relaxes arteries.
- Ammonia detoxification
- Hormone secretion
- Affects development of sexual sphere, especially in males.
- FUN FACT: Can be converted from citrulline, which is found in watermelon and more and can even raise plasma levels higher than arginine itself.
- precursor to nitric oxide production,which provides the tone of vessels and reduces viscosity. Used in many countries to help with acute attacks of stenocardia, hypertensive crisis or myocardial infarction.
- Possibly improves blood flow in arteries of heart and improve symptoms of clogged arteries, chest pain, angina, coronary artery disease or erectile dysfunction\
- Used in treatment of tumors
- Reduces blood cholesterol levels and blood pressure
- Improved walking distance for those with intermittent leg cramps and weakness or claudication
- Effective hepatoprotector (liver)
- Needed in growth of children and can be used to produce taller offspring if you and your partner are 5’7 hoping for a Kobe.
- Decrease symptoms and improve exercise tolerance in those suffering angina or chest pain, but does not improve the disease itself. Prevents nitrate tolerance in people taking nitroglycerin for angina pectoris
- increase blood flow in peripheral arterial disease (leg pain)
- Prevents inflammation of the digestive tract in premature infants.
- Combined with RNA and EPA before or after surgery helps reduce recovery time,
- infections and would healing.
- Treats high blood pressure during pregnancy or pre-eclampsia.