In a 100g serving of hemp seeds, you’ll find 25g of polyunsaturated Omega-6 linoleic acid. It is often found in flax, sunflower and sesame as well and it is recommended 1-3% of your daily calories come from this to prevent deficiency. This is an essential fatty acid, meaning that we MUST ingest it daily or else our body will be sad. Since it is essential, there are multiple benefits to adding it to your diet. Hemp is one of the best sources for this, and many other Omegas you need. Here are some of the benefits of lineolic acid alone, not including all the other yummies found in hemp seeds.
- Can be converted to other essential fatty acids such as GLA, DGLA and arachidonic acid which come with different eicosanoids that influence the body.
- Restored impaired growth and cured scaly dermatitis in fat free fed rats.
- Component of cell membranes in tissues through body
- High intake of LA has been associated with decreased risk of coronary artery disease
- When unavailable, the sebaceous gland produces sebum with oleic acid which is irritating the the skin and promotes acne.
- Has reduced tumors by over 50 percent, including the following types of cancer: breast, colorectal, lung, stomach and skin.
- Helps fight 5-lipox and AA inflammation without harming arteries by converting to DHA and EPA and effective in treating cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, cholesterol and osteoporosis.
- Improves insulin action and reduces glucose.
- Preserves muscle tissue, improves metabolism and burns fat.
- Inhibits the establishment and progression of atherosclerosis.